One of the most effective ways of improving a home’s desirability to buyers is a great bathroom remodel. Bathrooms are always high on potential buyers’ lists, therefore making an investment in updating your home’s could possibly be one of the best options for increased resale value.
- Repair and Repaint: Cleanliness is important and a fresh coat of paint will make a big impact. Match the paint color to the existing tile or stone for the most expansive, modern look. If you have ceramic tile that is perhaps a little too colorful already, a simple white paint on the walls will be the easiest choice.
- Improve storage space: Storage is important in the bathroom. Add improved options with a deeper medicine cabinet, storage above the toilet and adjustable shelving in the linen closet, if there is one. Installing pull-out shelves in a vanity is also a great way to expand storage space.
- Replace all fixtures, faucets and door hardware: Much like fashion, the right jewelry will make a simple outfit look like a million bucks. There is nothing like a brand new faucet set to spruce up the sink area and add sparkle … not to mention the fact that old fixtures are harder to keep clean, can be rusty and simply look tired. Purchase a new toilet seat or if your budget allows, completely replace the toilet itself.
- Replace the vanity or pedestal sink: If the countertop is in good condition, a simple paint job on the vanity will be an quick DIY upgrade. Pedestal sinks are often classic in design style and don’t usually look out of date. However, they don’t offer any storage and if space is needed, a new vanity might be the right choice.
Even some minor upgrades to bathrooms can make a big impact on buyers. Some of these less expensive options would be:
- Paint or refinish cabinets instead of replacing them.
- Install a new toilet (white and comfort height, with an elongated bowl).
- Add new lighting, like sconces that give a high-end look.
- Include a new mirror or recessed mirrored-front medicine cabinet.
- Update hardware and make it match throughout, including knobs, pulls, the vanity light, faucets and towel bars
- Replace scratched or cracked countertops (consider buying a prefabricated vanity with the counter included for ease and affordability)
- Deep clean — getting rid of rust stains, scrubbing every surface and recaulking can make a big difference.
Get in touch with a Realtor that has the most knowledge about your neighborhood. Learn what buyers are looking for right now. Get an expert opinion, get several opinions and see just what type of updating and repair work would be required to sell your home for a good price. Do you need to update the bathroom, or just give it a good clean and paint?